Disclaimer

The content of this website is mine alone and does not necessarily reflect the views of the U.S. Government, the Peace Corps, or The Gambian Government.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

27 Days In

Hello all!!  Seda Seda (slowly slowly) I continue to grow in confidence in learning Pulaar.  My relationships with my host family continue to deepen.  I know that when training ends I will miss them dearly, particularly my mineraawo (little brother) Abdulie whom I am named after.  Today we had our public transportation training which led through Soma, the closest town to my training village of Sare Musa, to the ferry terminal along the Gambia River.  Yesterday I played the two songs I have written in Pulaar at the bantaba (resting area) of the village elders which went extremely well.  We are currently in the month of Ramadan in which most of The Gambia is fasting daily from dawn until dusk. Next week we will find out where our permanent sites will be after our swear-in on August 12 as Peace Corps Volunteers.  I wish you all the best wherever you are reading this from.

Haa yesso (until later),

Stephen

2 comments:

  1. Jamm ak Jamm!!
    Exciting to read you are leaning Pulaar, I was secretly hoping it would be Wolof so we could be learning together! My Wolof teacher is Fulani from Senegal. Cant wait to meet up with you when I get over there!

    ReplyDelete